“World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion.” Dalai Lama
I’ve learned to achieve inner peace even when there is chaos around me simply by just being and not allowing outside problems affect my peace of mind. This is a state of harmony everyone can achieve with practice.
Inner peace is something most of us want but don’t have or know how to achieve. I believe that when we’re inundated with the stresses of the world, work, daily life demands, kids and tight schedules, it is difficult to imagine how we can ever be at peace. Not being in a state of peace is a learned behavior, we are very capable of unlearning something at any time, especially when we truly desire change. When we make inner peace a priority instead of what is going on around us, it will change the way we see everything, our family, job, relationships, our health and state of mind and the world.
“Peace is not something you wish for, it is something you make, something you are, something you do, and something you give away.” ― Robert Fulghum
It Starts with You
It is my belief and experience that global peace begins inside of each and every one of us. Of course we all have busy lives; it is easy to get caught up in the routine we follow every day. Not that daily life routines aren’t important, even venerable, but the approach we take and the way we handle what takes place each day makes a huge difference. There is a distinction between approaching things unconsciously with little attention paid and doing things with intention of purpose peacefully. The basis of inner peace is simply people willing to take responsibility for their own peace and peacefulness.
Inner peace isn’t about changing what is going on outside of you, it is about changing what’s going on inside you by managing how you are, which in turn affects others in your family, your neighborhood, your community and eventually the world.
“Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.” – Pema Chodron
Inner Peace – Simply
Start with something as simple and natural as changing the way you wake up in the morning. Most people start their morning by preparing for a hectic schedule and going through a preview of the day before they even rise from bed then the turmoil begins, because that is the way things have always been done. Inner peace calls for you to stop that process and recreate it by consciously waking; as you rise in the morning, start by simply saying thank you just for being alive, then take a few long, slow deep breaths, smile and start your day as if you mean it. Stop the daily preview chatter by slowing your mind and reminding yourself to be calm; that you are in charge not the commotion or order of the day. I am not suggesting passivity by being indifferent and unresponsive, but by being calm or at peace exudes tranquility and thoughtfulness.
Be truly grateful. We have a tendency to take what we are fortunate to have for granted. Start each day with appreciation for what seems ordinary: running water, electricity, the stove, clean dishes, your children, spouse, your family, your pets; you get the idea. When we begin to give thanks for what we already have no matter how simple, it brings a feeling of appreciation. Thankfulness and awareness for the good things in our lives is a good start to experiencing internal peace.
Additional Ways to Inner Peace ()
- Set limits.
- Find a relaxation technique that work for you.
- Don’t make mountains out of mole hills.
- Slow down.
- Unclutter your world, unclutter your mind.
- Use a minimalistic workspace.
- Be 10 minutes early.
- Remember the 5 little words that’ll help you to stay sane: “one thing at a time. “
” If there’s no inner peace, people can’t give it to you. The husband can’t give it to you. Your children can’t give it to you. You have to give it to you.” Linda Evans
Peace Improves Your Health
Achieving inner peace is the gateway to improved health. Instead of allowing what is taking place in your life to be the master, why not make how you feel and the way you want your life to be a priority. That will put the control of you in your hands instead of the outside world. True inner peace is the best medicine for your overall state of wellness. Did you know that when you remain upset about something that happened in the past and when you repeat the story that your body returns to a state of distress, as if it is in the actual situation again? That form of stress is dangerous to your health and the beginning point for disease.
Health Benefits of Inner Peace
- It lowers oxygen consumption.
- It decreases respiratory rate.
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Increases exercise tolerance.
- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
- Good for people with high blood pressure.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
- Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
- Enhances energy, strength and vigor.
- Helps with weight loss
- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
- Higher skin resistance
- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
- Decreases the aging process.
- Prevents, slows or controls pain of chronic diseases
- Makes you sweat less
- Cures headaches & migraines
- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
- Reduced Need for Medical Care
- Less energy wasted
- More inclined to sports, activities
- Significant relief from asthma
- Improved performance in athletic events
- Normalizes to your ideal weight
- Harmonizes our endocrine system
- Relaxes our nervous system
- Produces lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation). (Courtesy of peacerevolution.net)
Inner peace is our natural state of being
When we respond to what is going on in front of us instead of reacting or acting irrationally no matter what it is, is when we will know that we are capable of inner peace. Worry and anxiety never ever changes anything, in fact it stops you from making sound choices and experiencing clarity. Inner peace helps you to develop courage, strength, resilience and an understanding that life is cyclical. Even though you’re going through a bundle of emotions, you will better be able to handle something difficult when you’re in a state of peace. Seek ways to calm yourself and improve your self-talk to help you stay on the path. When you’re in a state of peace, self-care will be at the top of your list instead of the bottom.
Keys to Inner Peace
Assistant professor at the University of Texas-MD Anderson Cancer Center and at the UT Medical School, Alejandro Chaoul, teaches courses in their Integrative Medicine program. His work on mind-body practice as an integrative cancer care include Tibetan yoga and meditation. In this video he shares how he has helped many reach a new level of inner peace and health.
I sincerely appreciate your time, thank you for reading my post.